Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Advocacy phone call for the National Osteoporosis Foundation!!



As the Offical Teen Ambassador for the National Osteoporosis Foundation (NOF) it was my honor to participate in the annual advocacy conference phone call on Monday, January 31st!! This was the first year that I participated. Back in 2008 I had the priviledge of addressing Members of Congress on Capitol Hill as an advocate for Osteoporosis awareness and prevention!
This conference call involved 15 people from several states including: Washington DC, New York, Rhode Island, Michigan, New Mexico, California, and a few others. We each introduced ourselves and then listened carefully as we heard about updates from NOF and future goals to reach within the year!! We discussed how to work together, how to budget, get resolutions up and running in each state, expanding the research, and promoting bone health as well as advocacy and updating policies!! I had the opportunity to share some of my goals that I hope to reach in the state of Michigan very soon! I am in the process of following up with NOF and those more personally invested in the state of Michigan legislature to bring more awareness about Osteoporosis to our students, their parents, teachers, and community leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment